Plus, a birthday love letter example.
Photo: aslysun / Shutterstock
Now that you've found a romantic gift and picked out a card that'll make him swoon, it's time to start thinking about some birthday wishes for your boyfriend. When it comes to crafting the perfect "happy birthday" message for your boyfriend, there are a number of factors to consider outside of his personality and interests (which are basics you could touch on, but we think you can do better), including how long you've been with him and whether or not you were friends prior to becoming an item. If you need a bit more guidance on coming up with the best birthday wishes to your boyfriend, look no further; we've got you covered with tons of birthday card ideas to help get you started, along with a full example birthday letter for your boyfriend to use as a template.
In this article:
- What to Write in a Birthday Card for Your Boyfriend
- Heart-Touching Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
- Funny Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
- Short Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
- Long-Distance Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
- Romantic Example Birthday Letter to a Boyfriend
What to Write in a Birthday Card for Your Boyfriend
Regardless of your relationship timeline, there are a few non-negotiables for penning thoughtful "happy birthday" wishes for your boyfriend (besides saying "happy birthday," of course). Letting your beau know how glad you are that he was born and how thrilled you are that you get to celebrate his special day with him are paramount points to include in your wish, but there are other creative ways to personalize your message, too. For example, if the two of you recently started dating and met on a dating app, you may be looking for a birthday note that skews a bit more lighthearted and less sentimental than the full birthday paragraph you may write for a boyfriend you've been with for several years. And if he doesn't yet know what you have in store to celebrate the occasion, your card is a great place to reveal those special plans. (You'll see his eyes light up when he reads them!) Basically, it's all about capturing the right tone, while also coming across as sincere, excited and appreciative you get to celebrate today and every day by his side.
Heart-Touching Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
If you're aiming for a romantic, emotional birthday message to your boyfriend, you can approach it a few different ways. For a longer wish, try formatting the message like an abbreviated love letter, or keep it short and sweet with a sonnet-style message that expresses how happy you are to have spent another year around the sun with him.
- Here's to another year with you, my love. Looking forward to many more!
- Happy birthday to the best boyfriend I could ever ask for. You're my everything.
- Words cannot express how happy I am to be celebrating your birthday with you, sweetheart.
- May your birthday bring you as much joy and love as you give me every day.
- Another year, another birthday. You still give me butterflies! Happy Birthday, love.
Funny Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
Whether you're looking for a more playful way to wish him a happy birthday or just want to nod to his robust sense of humor, going for a humor-infused birthday greeting is always a solid option. You can poke fun at aging, reference an embarrassing moment or inside joke the two of you share, or go for a good old fashioned birthday pun.
- Happy Bae-day to the best boyfriend I could ever ask for!
- You may be another year older, but you're aging like a fine whiskey. Happy birthday, love!
- Happy birthday, babe. You may be getting older, but I have some good news: In dog years, you're only 14!
- Happy birthday to the guy who never fails to make me laugh! Age is just a number…but in your case, it's a really big number.
- Happy birthday to my number one guy! I see you invited all those gray hairs to your party (silver fox alert).
Short Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
Whether you've chosen a card with a printed birthday saying that resonates or just prefer to keep the messaging cute, short and sweet, there are plenty of short birthday wishes that are anything but vacant or generic. These birthday sentiments may be brief, but they'll still make him feel special, loved and celebrated on his day of birth. (You can always get more mushy in the card that accompanies your anniversary gift for your boyfriend.)
- Today is all about you, my birthday boy! I hope you enjoy every single moment—you deserve the best!
- Consider this card a coupon for a foot massage. HBD, my love!
- Happy birthday to the man who stole my heart. I love you!
- Happy birthday to my best friend!
- Today, I celebrate you and all the love we share. Here's to an amazing year ahead!
Long-Distance Birthday Wishes for Your Boyfriend
Whether you're in a long distance relationship or one of you is away on your boyfriend's birthday, celebrating their birthday when you're physically apart isn't so bad (especially if you send a great long-distance relationship gift). After all, many of us got a lot of practice for virtual celebrations during the pandemic. Let these thoughtful things to write in your boyfriend's birthday card let your beau know you're surely celebrating with them from afar.
- Sending you all the virtual kisses on your birthday today, my love! I am counting the days until we celebrate you in person.
- May your birthday be filled with joy and may the coming year bring us closer together. I miss you!
- We may be physically apart, but our love knows no bounds. Happy birthday to the best boyfriend I could ever ask for.
- Though we may be separated by distance this year, know that I am celebrating with you in spirit. Happy birthday, sweetheart!
- Happy birthday, dear! We may be miles apart on your big day, but know that my love for you stretches across the country.
Romantic Example Birthday Letter to a Boyfriend
Now that you have some solid ideas when it comes to what to write in a birthday card for your boyfriend, see how you can use those sentiments as jumping off points for a full-length message with the example letter below. This note can be longer (similar to how you would write a love letter) or short and simple—as long as you speak from the heart, your boyfriend will love it.
To the birthday boy of my dreams,
Words cannot describe how happy I am to be by your side to celebrate another year around the sun with you. You're not only my partner in life and in crime, but you're also my personal cheerleader, the world's best barista, my cozy human pillow and my best friend.
As we embark on another year of adventures together, I want you to know that I'm here for you, cheering you on and supporting you every step of the way—but you're on your own when it comes to coffee!
So, let's raise a toast to you, my love, on your birthday. May this year be filled with laughter, love and unforgettable memories. Thank you for being the incredible person that you are and for choosing to share your life with me.
Happy birthday, my beloved boyfriend. I love you more than words can express.