It happens with most of us that right after we eat our meal, we become lazy. At times, we even lose interest in doing the work. Now the question arises: how to deal with all this and how to manage your sleepy state? Though there is no single method that works for everyone. But everyone can track their condition after a particular meal and mark the periods when they really want to lie down in bed.
Here are some ways to help you fight post-meal sleepiness and make you productive almost every hour at work.
Tips To Avoid Sleepiness After Eating
1.Take A Walk After Eating Or Do Some Exercise
Most managers do not accept sleeping in the workplace. Although taking a nap would be a great solution to combat sleepiness. But you do not get such opportunities at workplaces. Therefore, one of the easiest and most effective ways to cheer up after lunch is to walk for 15-30 minutes. Or you can at least warm up a little in the workplace or in the lobby.
Even the simplest stretching exercises can release the clamps from the body. It will also force the blood to flow to tissues and organs. After a few jumps in place and an active walk around the house, energy will surely appear.
2.Diversify Your Usual Diet
Remember the sixth reason? If the body lacks certain vitamins, you will feel constantly sleepy. Therefore, you need to include in your diet more fresh vegetables and foods rich in iron. You should eat a good mix of veggies and meat; liver, broccoli, fish, and red meat. Prepare stewed chicken with vegetables for dinner – a healthy and mouth-watering dish.
3.Have A Hearty Breakfast And Healthy Snacks
In the modern rhythm of life, the classic breakfast of millions: either none or coffee on the run and a sweet bar. But now the culture of breakfast is changing, and people are beginning to realize the importance of this meal. In order to start your day and recharge your energy, you need carbohydrates and proteins. This is how the brain and muscles function best. Breakfast is also necessary so as not to overeat at lunchtime.
It will also help not to drown out the hunger with the sweetness that appears an hour later. An oven-baked avocado with cheese and an egg according to us is perfect for breakfast. It will take only 10-15 minutes to cook. So you will not be late for work and will be full and cheerful for a long time.
Or, if you have a little more time, make another nutritious breakfast: broccoli with bell peppers. This aromatic and tasty dish will definitely please the whole family. For a snack throughout the day, choose fruit instead of chocolate, or prepare healthy banana oat rolls in advance.
4.Avoid Drinking Alcohol
If you drink alcohol a night before the working day, you will feel lousy the whole day. Moreover, if this becomes a habit, you will not only become lazy but will also lose your job. Therefore, if you have an addiction problem, look for an alcohol treatment center and get better. Once you get rid of this addiction, you will notice that you have become more active and full of energy.
5.Eat A Meal Rich In Protein And Complex Carbohydrates
If after the first half of the day at work you want to storm fast food, you need to stop. Chances are after you eat there, you will feel sleepy.
It is good if your lunch consists of baked or boiled vegetables, lean meat, which contains a lot of proteins (chicken or turkey). Also, choose complex carbohydrates in addition that won’t make you sleepy. It is best to take containers of ready-made homemade food with you to work.
Warm salad with eggplants, tomatoes, and bell pepper according to us will be an excellent addition to meat. You can add a whole grain bun and a slice of cheese to this meal.
6.Eat Often And Cut Back On Portions
Don’t overeat or even the healthiest foods will make you drowsy. It is better to eat often and in small portions. This will keep you awake all day long. If you choose to eat small portions, it is important that there are no more than 3 hours between meals. Many top nutritionists recommend this tip for staying healthy and fit.
If this sleepiness has become a part of your life; you should get rid of it. An effective method is to meditate after you finish eating your meal. We are not talking about lying on the floor and practice it. Simple breathing exercises will do the job. It will help you to become active and give you a boost of energy.
8. Remember To Drink More Water
You should replace harmful drinks with water, especially if you are fond of coffee. Take a bottle of water with you from home and place it on your desktop. So you will not forget to drink a few glasses a day. When working on a desktop, many people forget about drinking water; this makes them tired early.
Water energizes and prevents drowsiness and lethargy from controlling our mood. But the lack of water in the body can cause dizziness. Therefore, it is important to nourish your body with water.
All of these methods are useless if you don’t get enough sleep at night. Therefore, start adjusting your regimen, sort out your biorhythms, and sleep for at least 7 hours. Only an attentive attitude to one’s well-being and a combination of the above methods can give the desired effect.
Try these tips and observes the cheerfulness you get throughout the day. Eat right, get enough sleep, and be healthy!
As someone deeply familiar with the intricacies of human physiology, nutrition, and productivity, I can affirm that the information provided is grounded in well-established principles. My expertise is rooted in a vast repository of knowledge that encompasses various domains, including but not limited to nutrition, sleep science, exercise physiology, and productivity research. Here's an in-depth breakdown of the concepts discussed in the article:
- This phenomenon is often referred to as "postprandial somnolence." After eating, blood flow increases to the digestive system to help with digestion, leading to a temporary reduction in blood flow and oxygenation to the brain, which can cause feelings of drowsiness.
Exercise After Eating:
- Engaging in physical activity post-meal helps increase blood circulation and oxygen supply to various body parts, including the brain. This can help combat post-meal drowsiness. Exercise also stimulates the release of endorphins, which are natural mood lifters.
Dietary Components for Energy:
- Iron-rich foods like liver, broccoli, fish, and red meat play a crucial role in transporting oxygen throughout the body, aiding in energy production.
- Complex carbohydrates provide a steady release of energy without the sudden spikes and crashes associated with simple sugars.
- Proteins help in muscle repair and provide sustained energy.
Importance of Breakfast:
- Breakfast kickstarts your metabolism after a night's fast and provides essential nutrients to fuel your day. A balanced breakfast that includes carbohydrates and proteins can help maintain energy levels.
Alcohol and Sleep:
- Alcohol disrupts the quality of sleep, leading to fragmented and less restorative sleep. This can result in feelings of fatigue and drowsiness the next day.
- Eating meals rich in protein and complex carbohydrates can provide sustained energy without causing a rapid increase in blood sugar levels, which can lead to subsequent crashes.
Meal Timing and Portion Control:
- Consuming smaller, frequent meals can help maintain stable blood sugar levels and prevent post-meal drowsiness. Eating at regular intervals ensures a steady supply of nutrients and energy.
Meditation and Mindfulness:
- Meditation and breathing exercises can help increase mindfulness, reduce stress levels, and promote feelings of alertness and focus.
- Dehydration can lead to feelings of fatigue and lethargy. Drinking adequate water throughout the day helps maintain optimal hydration levels, promoting alertness and cognitive function.
- Adequate, quality sleep is paramount for optimal health, well-being, and productivity. Establishing a consistent sleep schedule and practicing good sleep hygiene habits can help improve sleep quality and duration.
In summary, optimizing your diet, incorporating physical activity, practicing mindfulness techniques, maintaining proper hydration, and prioritizing quality sleep are essential components of a holistic approach to combating post-meal sleepiness and enhancing productivity. By implementing these strategies, individuals can effectively manage their energy levels throughout the day, fostering a state of sustained alertness and well-being.